Monday, January 09, 2006

Donkeying Up In HORSE

My tourney life has been running cold lately so I decided to mix it up a little bit. I'm likely heading out to play in some cash games during the LA Poke Classic, and decided I'd enter one of the $1500 events if I could get my tournament game on track. When I get in a rut I like to change it up a bit, and there's nothing like HORSE to force a change.

I'm a decent limit hold em player, but my skills go downhill quickly from there. I tend not to have the patience to wait for the right hands in Razz or O8, and slowly bleed away chips. Therefore, I'm forced to think more about each of the games because I've haven't played enough Razz or O8 H/L to be able to "put it on autopilot" like I could with a HE game. Since I struggle to keep focus in tournaments, the change does me good.

I'm not sure if today was good for me or not. Man, in limit tourneys I always feel like I'm drawing to some donkey hand because I let myself get down to the felt and the blinds tend to move up quickly. I was 53 of 55 at one point in today's $20+2 HORSE tournament at Full Tilt. It's a different feeling from NL, where you at least have the ability to force some pressure points before getting down in the Red Zone. So on one hand, I feel like I waited too long to take a stand and was forced to luck out with some low-percentage draws.

On the other hand....

Click for the full view, in all it's glory

To anyone I caused to reload on their blood pressure medication, I apologize. It won't happen again.

No comments: